A balance board is also known as a «swing board» that kids usually use. It is a curved board that provides a good sense of balance and trains coordination, concentration, and fine motor skills. It is a gaming and sports device simultaneously and can be used in many ways.
When a kid stands on a balance board, special attention is paid to the legs, pelvis, and back muscles. There are different types of products for various little users. For instance, there are round and extra-long balancing boards. Parents can choose any board for their child, depending on the physical capabilities and age of the child.
How to buy a balance board
Children can significantly benefit from regular exercise with a balance board. It trains not only balance but also coordination, concentration, and fine motor skills. Since, among other things, the muscles of the legs, pelvis, and back are involved, this fitness equipment is also used in therapy.
Nevertheless, not all models are suitable for little kids, so when buying, there are some essential criteria to consider:
- Extra-long balancing boards. Children usually get along better with elongated, curved balance boards than with round panels, as balance only needs to be maintained in two directions. The size of the board should match the length of the leg so that the legs can be placed on the outer edges.
- Balance pads are usually inflatable, which means that instability and, therefore, difficulty can be measured.
- Round balance boards are much more complicated and suitable for older kids, as a balance must be maintained in all directions. However, with a bit of practice, toddlers can do the job as well.
- Material. Whether a balance board made of wood, plastic, or rubber is used makes little difference to solving the balancing problem. Nevertheless, wood models give more sensation, which many little athletes prefer.
- More important than just the feel of the board is that the surface provides a secure hold — for example, this is achieved with grooves or ridges. To protect the kid from slipping, it is also recommended to use anti-slip balancing boards on the underside.
What about the benefits
As mentioned, balance boards promote stability and a sense of balance. Not only that, motor skills, excellent motor skills, and coordination can benefit from it.
It takes a lot of attention to keep the balance board to work. The ability to concentrate is also trained. Focusing on one thing has been shown to reduce stress in children. Consider these facts when buying, and your child will get the best board of their life as a result! You also have to remember that balance boards must be age-appropriate for a positive effect.